Saturday, April 24, 2010

IE 7 asks if I want webpages to access my CLIPBOARD. What's this about?

Just for the record, I know what a clipboard is. :) What I do NOT know, is what the following window means, which I often get when I take online surveys (from reputable market research sites, BTW, not fly-by-night ones)...



"Do you want to allow this webpage to access your Clipboard? If you allow this, the webpage can access the Clipboard and read information that you've cut or copied recently."



My questions:



1. Can the webpages read my IE 7 clipboard only, or the clipboard of ANY program on my computer, such as Microsoft Word?



2. Can the webpages read only the last thing I cut or copied, or go back and read a whole SERIES of things I cut or copied?



3. WHY would a site giving me a survey about, say, a new concept for frozen waffles or sanitary pads, want to see the random mess of things on my clipboard? i.e. What's interesting about following the URL to a page with a friend's squirrel photos, or in reading a letter I wrote to thank my cousin for hosting a family party?



IE 7 asks if I want webpages to access my CLIPBOARD. What's this about?microsoft outlook





Hi Shari516 :)



1) Open the "Tools" menu



2) Click "Internet Options"



3) Go to the "Security" tab, make sure "Internet" is selected and click the "Custom Level" box.



4) Scroll down to the "Scripting" section and under "Allow Programatic Clipboard Access" set it to DISABLE and click OK %26gt; Yes %26gt; OK.



Answers:



1) Without that being disabled, it is only possible for sites to collect data you have been copying and pasting if you allow them when prompted. My setting with completly disable clipboard access to site you visit without the need to be prompted



2) Not sure, but when you copy something new to your clipboard, the old data is lost, so I would assume it is only the last thing you copied.



3) If a site is giving a survey, they are interested in your personal information because they are getting paid to collect it. They take what your giving up and what ever else they could squeeze from you, including the contents of your clipboard.



Best regards,



Windsor



http://malwaremedic.suddenlaunch3.com/



IE 7 asks if I want webpages to access my CLIPBOARD. What's this about?windows messenger internet explorer



Clipboard is where data goes when you copy then paste. It can have small and large parts of data.



definitely deny access.



Seems like a security setting problem



These sites can, witrh the right code, do what you mention. The thing is to block this type of access. Sometimes the basic data, however trivial, can be used for market profiling
The behavior that you are referring to is due to the increased security settings in IE-7.



In IE-6s security settings, allowing a web-site to access and read the contents of your clipboard was "enabled" by default. This obviously could allow un-scrupulous sites access to personal information that one might not wish it to have. Maybe your password or your credit card number happened to be stored in your clipboard at the time!



IE-7 has much tighter security which is good and long overdue. It is simply warning you that a web-site is accessing data in your clipboard. This gives you the choice is you wish to allow this behavior based on your knowledge of the particular site. No browser can determine if a site is reputable or not, it is giving the decision to you.



IE-7 behavior is to "prompt" for a web-site to access your clipboard .



Your online surveys have been doing this all along. It's your call if you trust them or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting servers